Familes are Forever

Familes are Forever

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Motherhood: A letter to my Daughters, A letter to my Mom

*I wrote this letter for my Mom and Lydia for Mother's Day 2007. And now it is for Taylie too.

Me, Grandma Greer, Taylie (the baby), My Mom and Lydia

 
Motherhood

     Earlier this month I sat watching Lydia play, marveling at how fast she has grown, how much she has learned, and how much joy she brings to our lives. I was struck by a wave of sadness. she won't remember any of this, she won't remember the fun we have, she won't remember us teacher her to crawl, walk, and talk, pray and the less enjoyable tasks of diaper changes, 3am feedings, teething, and potty training. How sad that she won't have these memories of our time together that I will treasure! How will she realize how much I love her?

     Then it hit me. When she becomes a Mother, when she is teaching and loving her children she will remember. She will know how much I love her and she will have those memories to cherish. They will be different but the same, she will be the Mother loving her child wondering if they will remember.

     I have always known my Mother loved me but it was at this moment I realized how much she loved me. How much time, energy, and prayers came my way not out of duty but out of love. The love from a parent to a child, a love you don't fully understand until you are a parent.

     I marveled for the first time how much I had learned from my Mother, and wondered where she had learned it all. She had learned it from her Mother and so it goes back to the beginning, love and lessons passed on from one generation to the next. Starting with Eve the Mother of All living, Eve with no Mother to turn to alone raising her children, but she wasn't alone, She was taught by our Heavenly Father. She was taught by him and she teaches us.

     What greater calling is there than teaching Heavenly Fathers children of his love?

     M. Russell Ballard said "A mothers nurturing love arouses in children, from their earliest days on earth an awakening of the memories of love and goodness they experienced in their premortal existence. Because our mothers love us we learn, or more accurately remember, that God also loves us."

     In Sheri Dews talk "Are We Not All Mothers" she states: Motherhood is not what was left over after our Father blessed His sons with priesthood ordination. It was the most ennobling endowment He could give His daughters, a sacred trust, that gave women an unparalleled role in helping His children keep their second estate.

     Even with that being said being a Mother isn't always easy. Children demand your time 24 hours a day 365 days a year. You do not get sick days, vacations or temporary leaves of absence.

     On the hard days for me I read this quote that I have on the mirror on my dresser. It was given by the First presidency in 1942 and never fails to put my frustrations into perspective. "Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels."

     I am so grateful for the Angels that have gone before me and the Earthly Angels known as Mothers and Grandmothers for their constant teaching and loving. I know that I am a better Mother because of them and hopefully one day I can teach my daughter(s) all they have taught me on being a Mother.
Left: My Grandma Tolman. Top Right: Alex's Grandma Arnold. Bottom Right: My Grandma Greer
Alex's Mom
Alex's birth Mom Ludmilla and his Grandma Vera

4 comments:

Jaclyn M said...

Why do you like to make me cry?? You words are very touching. I love the first picture!!!! FYI you are one lucky mom.... You kids are so cute. It made my night the other night when the boys both gave me loves :) I know why you have such great kids though.... The Lord said I want these kids to have the best mother out there and he knew that was you <3 Love you sister!

Mom of 12 said...

Happy Mother's Day. I love the Grandma pics. You know I lost my grandma is September and my mom almost 6 years ago. My MIL and my dad are the only ones left. So sad for my little ones who will never know a grandparent's love in this life.
Sandy

Ashley said...

Such a great letter for your daughters and mother! Loved reading this :)

Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

What a beautiful post! I hope you felt appreciated on mother's day!