Familes are Forever

Familes are Forever

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Super Bowl Baby #1: Alex Joshua (AJ)

AJ Turner 2/4/08

Sunday February 3, 2008

I woke up to a very cold, windy, snow storm. Church was canceled, and my mom and I spent most of the morning preparing food for our Super Bowl Party. We made some awesome spicy food, sweet food, tons of dips, appetizers. I don't remember who won, let alone who was playing. I just remember the food was delicious.

Starting around the 2nd quarter I started to experience back pains and stomach discomfort. I would constantly try changing positions, using Alex as a back brace or massage. They would last about a minute or two every 5 minutes. I didn't think much of it, I was pregnant with twins there was bound to be discomfort.

My dad on the other hand did not agree. I think he spent more time watching me than the game. He kept telling me that I was in labor and needed to go get it checked. I would push it off telling him "Dad, I am not in labor." A few minute later he would say "I really don't think you should be eating that.....(spicy meatballs)" and of course I would tell him I was fine.

The game ended, but the pain continued. Around10:30 I noticed something was wrong. Spotting. A LOT of spotting. It was time to concede. My dad was right, I needed to go the hospital to get checked.  After asking my to watch Lydia we headed out into the snow storm to the hospital. We had always talked about when I went into labor we would use the toll bridge and get to the hospital 5 minutes earlier. For some reason we didn't. It was a very slow, scary ride with almost no visibility.

By the time we arrived at the hospital it was close to midnight. We were going to a different hospital and I wasn't sure which entrance to use for Labor and Delivery I tried 4 different doors. Once I finally was checking in and answering the normal questions. When asked when my c section was scheduled for  I told them I wasn't, Dr N said I was going to labor. They didn't say anything but I did see their sideways glance at each other.

After being roomed we waited to hear from the doctor. I was told that he wanted to try my on an IV medication to stop labor to see if we could keep them in a few days longer to give their lungs a better chance. I was told to get some sleep and they would check on me in a few hours.
Waiting for the okay to stay.


Monday February 4, 2008

Around 6 am they checked on me and I was still laboring despite the medication and was at 5cm. I was finally officially admitted and was put on pitocin to help my contractions start back up. My epidural this time went much better. This anesthesiologist numbed my back first, so even though it did take him 4 tries I didn't feel a thing.  I was finally able to relax and get some rest. They broke my water about 9 am but trying to kick my labor back to where it was the night before.

11:30am. I was only 6 cm dilated, I was very anxious. I was about to increase my family size from 3 to 5. How can I do this? I was worried about how the delivery would go. I was so anxious I started to make myself sick. the nurse came in and gave me something for the nausea that would also make me a little drowsy. She told me not to worry that it was still hours away and to get some sleep so I could have my energy.
Alex ready for delivery, and my nurse.
 12:30pm. She wakes me up to check me. To which she then informs me that I am at 9.5cm and that it was time to move me to the OR. (It was a requirement that I deliver in the OR in case of emergency) My reaction was one of shock, what?!? Wait?! you said I had hours left to prepare. I am not ready for this. The doctor was called and they started wheeling me down the hall. I started vomiting again. I was shaking so bad! And it was at this point I realized that I could feel that my leg was asleep. Not like the feeling from an epidural but like the pins and needles from sitting on them to long asleep. I told this to my nurses and they told me that was normal. To which I responded, no you don't understand. My epidural is worn off I can feel everything.

They transferred me from the nice comfy bed to the hard operating table. As they did this I felt the most unusual pressure. I told the nurses this and they told me it was my body telling me it was time to push. Dr N was there and had me start to push.

It was the most awesome experience feeling him move through my body, painful, very painful, but amazing. I pushed though the pain and the next thing I know after only 3 pushes Alex Joshua was born. He weighed in at 5lbs 2 oz and was 18.5 in long at 1pm.

He didn't cry at first, but by the time the cord was cut he was howling. He was beautiful.



I remember Alex saying "oh that isn't normal is it"

Dr N: Call anesthesiology and get them here now we are going to have to put her under general. Get him out of here.

General? Wait, why general what is going on? Why won't any one tell me what is going on? The operating room became a flurry of activity. Nurses running, taking my baby with them and telling Alex he had to leave. He turned to follow AJ without question. My heart ached to go with them, or at least have my husband by my side.

Nurse: We can't find the anesthesiologist.
Dr N: Well find him get someone here now. We need to get this baby out quick.

More running of nurses, no one answering my questions. I knew what general meant. They had to put me to sleep. Something had gone wrong. But why won't anyone tell me what is going on? They started to prep me for my C section. I could feel the coldness of the beta dine and the roughness of the razor against my belly. This brought on a whole new fear. Please don't let them cut me open when I am still awake. I can feel that.

Nurse: We still can't locate him.
Dr N: Well find someone, we have 5 minutes to get this baby out or we lose him.

2 comments:

Twins Squared said...

Oh my gosh! What a story! Can't wait to read about baby #2. Glad you found me though out of two twin deliveries neither one was very eventful. Semi-scheduled c-sections thank goodness!

My little twins just turned 4 so they are just about the same age. And instead of Super Bowl Babies they are National Football Championship babies! Born the day LSU won in 2008. :)

Anonymous said...

You cant stop there!!!