Familes are Forever

Familes are Forever

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Story of Us: The Proposal

I think we left off where I was headed to my other date and Alex was off to save the world.

The date was okay, but he wasn't my prince charming. This guy planned dinner a movie and then wanted to take me bowling. I was able to talk him into just dinner and a movie because I had plans with my girlfriends that evening.

Alex came home from Idaho and we went to Temple square to see the lights....my cousin convinced me that he was going to propose and to tell you the truth I was kinda liking that idea. We had the best time, the lights were beautiful and we had alot of fun. We stopped at Burger King on the way home and I even convinced him to let me take a picture of him in a Burger King crown. But no proposal. I was okay with that too because we had only been dating less than a month.

We went to a Stake sing a long for Christmas the first Sunday in December. On the drive up there he took my hand and asked if I had thought about marrying him. I told him I had and asked him the same question. He responded that he too had thought about it. He then asked if I knew what my answer would be, when I told him it would be a yes he told me he had already bought a ring. And that he had it with him but wanted to speak with my Dad first. He wouldn't even let me take a peek at it.

He will tell you that he planned on asking my Christmas Day but that didn't happen. That Wednesday he took me to dinner and told me he was going to ask my parents that night. I was excited and nervous. I don't think that I was as nervous as Alex was though. But they immediately gave their blessing.

He took my hand and asked me to walk with him to the new fire station that was under construction. He wanted to show me the details and explain to me why it was important to him. He said to me "this community has given me so much, they accepted me in my youth and helped raise me and I feel the need to give back."  Here is a link to a news story they did on him a year ago.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14962572&pid=0

As we walked to the Fire station and the park next to it, it was almost midnight, it was dark and the drizzle of falling rain was slowly turning into snow. He helped me through the unfinished fire station showing me where the gear would go, the trucks, and the training rooms. He explained that alot of the work was being done by the fireman on their days off, like the tiling and the heating ducts. I was amazed at his courage, and his willingness to give. I wanted to be apart of it. I decided then that I would join the fire department too. (Betcha didn't know that about me did ya?)

In our city our fire department is also our first responders. So my medical training would be a benefit. And not to brag but I can say I have "caught" a hydrant at least once. Unfortunately for me it only lasted about 4 months then we found out I was pregnant with Lydia and since then someone has to stay with the little ones. But one day I will go back, they always ask me when I am. Anyway enough about me back to the story.

Once we were done with the tour he walked me to the pine trees that lined the park to get out of the rain/snow. He got down on one knee and asked if I would be his wife. I joyfully said yes! He put the ring on my finger and I held out my hand. "It is so beautiful!" I told him. He laughed. It was so dark that I honestly had no idea what my ring looked like and he knew it. But that didn't matter to me. It was mine, from the one I love and want to spend my life here and in eternity with.

And when I got home and saw it in the light, it was everything I had hoped for and more.
My beautiful ring

Our Tree

Our Family Tree.

2 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing. And thanks for the chicken recipe :-)

Jaclyn M said...

That is too cute.... Oh and I did know that about you :)