Familes are Forever

Familes are Forever

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fundraiser or Extortion?

I received the following email from the Principal at our school today (underlining is my addition):

Hello Families;
Our "Change the Rules Day" is coming up on Friday, February 24th. This idea has been tried in other schools as a quick fundraiser with proceeds going directly to the child's classroom for math manipulatives or reading materials. This, of course, is optional. Your child's teacher will send home a list of small activities which a child can participate in during that day. Most of the activities are similar to what we would do on a spirit day or other activity day. Families can donate the amount of money for an activity or choose not to participate at all. It is only one day (short day) so it will move quickly.

We have had great response so far and just wanted to make families aware that the day is coming up on Friday and that perhaps the money could come in on Thursday if possible so that the kids can enjoy their activities. As always, we appreciate your support of our school.

Sincerely,
Principal

Copy of the letter sent home by the school with the kids.

I am all for supporting my children's schools. I am fine with the taxes and registration fees, I am even fine with the fees that are for extra curricular activities. But to have an activities day were they are allowed to wear hats, crazy hair, pajamas, be principal for 5 minutes, or extra minutes at recess and treats. But if the student (or their parents) don't pay the price allotted then they are not allowed to participate and enjoy the activities is wrong. It sets the children up for harassment by their peers. Some families can't afford their own bills let alone pay money to allow their child to wear their pajamas to school.

I know they are trying to raise money for classroom supplies, books and math manipulatives but I believe there is better ways to do this. Ask for donations. Have classrooms compete together to see who can raise the most of an item and them reward the whole class. They have fall festivals, so why
 not a spring festival? Something that will not segregate the children.

This really upsets me. My husband does construction work and winters are bad for us. I will be keeping my child home from school Friday so she doesn't get her feelings hurt or is disappointed that she can't participate in these activities that cost the school no money at all. I feel like the email from the Principal was like an ultimatum pay up or else your child suffers.

So I want opinions people, one from everyone who reads this post please! Am I being overly sensitive or do you think that there is something wrong with this fundraising tactic.

8 comments:

Jennie Burbank said...

I absolutely agree with you. It's really not fair to only allow those who can afford to fork over extra money to participate in the activities. They need to do something that will not only raise money, but include ALL children. I can see how administration might think this is just a fun way to raise money, but as mommys we can see how it may adversely affect our kiddos. I don't blame you for keeping Lydia home...and even if you were able to afford it I'd still keep her home just to make a point that it's not a fair to all the children of the school.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Pierce's school does this with pajama day - you send in $1 and they can wear pjs. BUT they also say that if you are unable to donate, your child is still welcome to wear pjs that day. It's a really rural school, and there are many financially challenged families, and the school is aware of that.

Anonymous said...

I agree my kids would not be going to school either.

Rindi said...

I totally agree!! I about died when my kids brought this home. I feel like every other day they bring something home about giving money. Like a week or so ago when they were doing donations for the spelling tests. What the crap?!?! Or we can go to Artic Circle and proceeds go towards the school. I certainly don't have the money to be forking out every week for something.

Crystal said...

Wow. I mean, WOW! I remember when I was in school we could wear our jammies whenever we wanted, we would just risk ridicule from other friends. I don't think it's right to charge for an activity like what you are talking about and I agree that if the school needs money, they should just ask for donations. People are pretty generous when they can afford to be, but to make a family pay to participate in a fun school thing seems so wrong to me.

danette said...

Wow, this would make me angry too. I hope you write a letter telling the principal how you feel about this.

I would keep my kids home from school too.

Heather said...

I would be making an appointment to visit with the principal in person about this activity. Most administrators are open to input. Just make sure you go in with your main concerns organized and don't rant and rave. I would be upset as well.

ShanaM said...

I agree with you as well. It is totally wrong!