Familes are Forever

Familes are Forever

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Do you make time for hobbies and interests outside of being a mom and how do you do it?"

This post is part of Wednesday's Lunch Brunch at Blossoming Bloggers.

I make time for my hobbies and interests outside of being a mom by scrapbooking after they are asleep and by attending the Scrapbook Expo in Sandy with my Sister in Law. I also find that cooking or baking help me relax, so sometimes after a very difficult day I will make cookies or bread. The downside to this hobby is the extra dishes. Most recently though I have discovered blogging and Picnik picture editing and have spent alot of time doing that after the kids are sleeping, but my two all time favorites was to relax and just "reconnect" with being me is:

1) Shopping. Growing up I was not a teen you would find at the mall shopping. HATED IT. I would have rather been reading. Get me in and out and I was good. But now being able to go shopping by myself is Heaven. The quiet drive, browsing each isle at my own pace and just imagining what I would buy if I had enough money to splurge. No kids asking for this or that and hubby timing how long we are there. I can head to Walmart for just a few items and spend a good 3 hours just wandering and thinking. To me it is so relaxing. I know weird, but I love it!

2) A Long HOT Shower. No little bodies to wash or fingers poking me. Just sitting at the bottom of the shower letting the water wash away the days stresses. Nothing better! Enough said.

4 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I know, showers and solo shopping are totally awesome.

Do you know Mary from The Englar Fam? She's a big Packers fan and has a cute little girl and loves to crochet. After I read your Packers post I started thinking you might have a lot in common! Anyhow, if you like meeting new bloggers you could go say hi - http://kandmbaby.blogspot.com/

Melinda said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! :) I rarely go shopping by myself, I should start demanding it just for sanity's sake! haha I see a lot of your stuff you do after your kids go to bed, I usually save that time for reading, sometimes I have the hardest time going to sleep because its just so QUIET and I want to savor that! haha

Dalling Family said...

I love to shop just like you! Crazy how time goes by when you get to wander the aisles and "window shop". I would also like to bake, but I don't too often because 1. It makes my kitchen hot during the summer and 2. I don't want to do the dishes. :O)

Mom of 12 said...

Love the shower idea! I rarely get one by myself and it's never long...
Sandy